Best-Selling Author, Master Coach and Vision Board & Manifesting Expert, Sarah Centrella is the author of the #1 best-selling self-help book Hustle Believe Receive An 8 Step Plan to Changing Your Life and Living Your Dream. Centrella is known as the premier vision board expert and her follow up book: #FutureBoards How to Make a Vision Board to Manifest Exactly What You Want, was released the same day at this episode.
As a master life coach, she’s worked with professional athletes in the NBA and NFL, WAGS and thousands of people from around the world, helping them manifest their dreams. She regularly leads workshops for clients such as: Pinterest, Nike, BMW, Xerox, Quaker Oats, Thrive Global, NBA Wives Association and many others.
Sarah has shared the stage as a keynote speaker with; Ed Mylett, Andy Frisella, Alex Rodriguez, Sheri Salata, Joan Lunden, the cast of WAGS on E! Dianne Valentine and many others. Sarah has been featured by The Wall Street Journal, ABC NEWS, The Steve Harvey Show, The New York Times, OK! Magazine, The Oregonian, Yahoo News, Good Morning America and many others.
Key Points from the Episode with Sarah Centrella:
- Sarah trains life coaches on her personal method, which was created out of her backstory
- Sarah has been a full-time coach and speaker for two and a half years
- 10 years ago, she went through a traumatic experience that sparked everything
- In 2008, Sarah was married to her high school sweetheart, with whom she had 3-year-old twins and a 5-year-old
- On day that September, Sarah found a text message from her husband’s mistress. Within 40 minutes, he was out of the house for good.
- This happened on the back of them having filed bankruptcy and losing their home, so she was literally left with nothing.
- Since no one was really on social media yet, she didn’t know anyone else going through anything like she was, and had to figure things out on her own.
- She realized quickly that you end up in this place where you either disintegrate and turn into nothing, or pick yourself up and create something. When she realized that, she also realized she didn’t really have a choice and would figure out how to move forward.
- This realization is actually incredibly freeing since it forces all ego to vanish so you can rebuild.
- She she invented – out of thin air – the woman she would become.
- Having her kids helped force the right path for her, and she recognizes the importance of an anchor like them to help her go in the right direction without any room for a plan B in case her path failed. She had to be successful.
- She also realized it isn’t about “rebuilding”, but rather creating a new life. She did not want to rebuild the life she had before since obviously it wasn’t right. That was also clarifying and empowering around the power of her choices and decisions.
- The more she thought about what she wanted to achieve, she found herself transported out of the darkness she was facing, and that was even more empowering.
- If you can take the focus from the things you don’t want (the pain of the past, the things you lost) and channel it into what you do want, that becomes freeing and driving to achieve those things.
- Future Boards is about very specific goals, visually documented. They aren’t around general ideas, but rather very clearly illustrated situations. Rather than “a house” you should find a picture of the specific house you wanted. If you wanted to be on a beach in Hawaii, get a picture of a beach in Hawaii rather than just any beach.
- Future Boards are also holistic, covering every aspect of your life, not just about one component of it. You should be able to see the full picture.
- We did get into the difference between just putting a picture of something cool you want on a board and those things being clear measures of achieving what you really want.
- We also talked about not just having material things be the focus of your board. It isn’t about the things you show so much as what they represent in terms of where your life is. The focus needs to be on the life you’re building, not the things you just have. In that vein, she does not allow people to put money on the board at all.
- The insistence not to have money on the board is how she found that having money is not connected to having the life you want. It forces the picture of your life to devolve into one of numbers and what bills you can pay, which is not as empowering and life changing as what the idea of abundance can be.
- Don’t ask yourself how much you need to make, but what you have in your life from an experience standpoint, and then think about how you support those experiences.
- If you set your sights on a specific number, you may miss the opportunities that would allow for so much more due to the tunnel vision you had on the lower goal.
- One of the biggest challenges she puts to people, that she gives you the tools to work through in #FutureBoards, is to envision where you ultimately want your life to be across the board, which few people can really do.
- Website: SarahCentrella.com
- Sarah’s Books: Hustle Believe Receive and #FutureBoards
- Facebook: facebook.com/sarah.centrella
- Twitter: @sarahcentrella
- Instagram: @sarahcentrella
Subscribe to The Do a Day Podcast
Keep Growing with Do a Day
- Get Do a Day in print, Kindle, iBooks, Audiobook and more – even get a personally-signed copy from Bryan Falchuk
- Get Bryan’s second book, The 50 75 100 Solution: Build Better Relationships
- Get started on your journey to Better with the Big Goal Exercise
- Work with Bryan as your coach, or hire him to speak at your next event